Job Title: Governmental Affairs Intern
Reports To: Chamber Manager and President/CEO
Time Commitment: 6-10 hrs/week; minimum 3 days
The Vermillion Area Chamber & Development Company (VCDC) consists of the Chamber of Commerce, the office of Economic Development and the Visitor & Tourism Bureau for the Vermillion Area.
The Governmental Affairs Intern will assist the President & CEO and Chamber Manager on policy issues management and analysis, and external and internal communication with stakeholders. This internship will offer the opportunity to gain valuable skills, network, and learn about the Vermillion Area Chamber & Development Company, government affairs, regulation and legislation in the non-profit space.
Essential Expectations and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Understands organizational structure and departmental responsibilities
- Attends minimum of one all staff meeting
- Is familiar with VCDC’s communications priorities
- Occasional presence at VCDC events
- Legislative Affairs:
- Constant monitoring of legislative activities at City, County, State and Federal levels.
- Providing research and memos on relevant, proposed or confirmed, legislation to the Vermillion Area and VCDC interests.
- Staff Governmental Affairs Committee.
- Legislative Interest Summary
- Other projects assigned
- Must have exceptional business writing skills, proof-reading and editing skills.
- Must also be familiar with Microsoft Office products and how to effectively use them to increase productivity.
- Have an interest in government and legislative affairs
- Be detail oriented and have the ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Have excellent research, writing, and interpersonal skills
Must be a self-starter with the ability to handle a reasonable number of tasks simultaneously and provide timely feedback.
Must be a team player and work well with peers. This position requires that a person be able to work with minimal supervision; have the ability to work with volunteers and the general public; maintain strict confidentiality in business dealings; and present a positive, professional image to customers and staff.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
High School diploma required; bachelor’s degree – or progress toward such a degree – is preferred.
TO APPLY: Send resume and cover letter to VCDC, 2 E. Main Street, Vermillion or email@example.com.