The Communications Intern will focus on assisting the VCDC on the creation of coherent and consistent written communications in the form of press releases, newsletter articles, membership communications, social media promotions, radio copy, and other clerical writing.
Essential Expectations and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Understands organizational structure and departmental responsibilities
- Attends weekly Communications department meeting
- Attends minimum of one all staff meeting
- Is familiar with VCDC’s communications priorities
- Occasional presence at VCDC events
- Writing drafts of timely press releases and quarterly VERB magazine articles
- Writing drafts of speeches and scripts for events
- Writing copy for radio advertisements and promotions
- Content creation for social media posts
- Assistance in proofing most forms of external communication
- Creating fresh copy for Vermillion Visitor’s Guide
- Potential assistance with grant writing
- Must have exceptional business writing skills, proof-reading and editing skills.
- Must also be familiar with Microsoft Office products and how to effectively use them to increase productivity.
- An understanding of multiple social media platforms is preferred.
Must be able to adjust to constantly changing circumstances and priorities and be able to re-adjust priorities quickly. Must be a self-starter with the ability to handle a reasonable number of tasks simultaneously and provide timely feedback.
Must be a team player and work well with peers. This position requires that a person be able to work with minimal supervision; have the ability to work with volunteers and the general public; maintain strict confidentiality in business dealings; and present a positive, professional image to customers and staff.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
High School diploma required; bachelor’s degree – or progress toward such a degree – is preferred.
TO APPLY: Send resume and cover letter to VCDC, 2 E. Main Street, Vermillion or firstname.lastname@example.org.