Job Title: Communications & Tourism Manager
Reports To: VCDC President & CEO
FLSA Status: Full Time; Salaried; Exempt; DOQ
Benefits: 1-week paid vacation, paid holidays, sick leave, and health care allowance
Want to work in a fun, fast-paced, creative environment? If you love telling stories, putting on events, working with people and being creative, this is an opportunity you don’t want to miss!
The Communications & Tourism Manager will have a great deal of public contact and must represent the organization in a positive light at all times. The position is responsible for the marketing and promotion for the entire Vermillion Area Chamber & Development Company (VCDC), including the Chamber of Commerce, Office of Economic Development and the Tourism and Visitors Bureau in Vermillion, SD.
The ideal candidate is someone with a passion for words, who engages and collaborates with a diverse audience to market a product, program or service. If you are a self-starter, who is energetic, can take direction, adapts well, can manage multiple projects at once, can work with deadlines while communicating effectively and is extremely organized; we want to hear from you!
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Work to further the efforts of the Visitor & Tourism Strategic Plan, which include:
- Encourage a broader Vermillion vision of becoming the Arts & Culture capital of South Dakota
- Encourage and promote the Cultural Amenities in and around the Vermillion Area
- Encourage and promote the Outdoor Amenities in and around the Vermillion Area
- Manage a local Sports Authority
- Promote Community Amenities to the Educational Visitor
- Manage all mass-communication from the VCDC, including mass e-mails, direct mailings, radio copy, digital newsletters and event promotions.
- Development and distribution of marketing materials and annual marketing plans.
- Event recruitment, coordination and fulfillment for the: SD HS All-Star Football Game, Annual Baseball Exhibition Game, Oktoberfest, State HS Football Championships, #LOVermillion Day, professional conventions and others.
- Manage all social media platforms for each entity of the VCDC.
- Write and distribute press releases for each entity of the VCDC.
- Manage the creation and production of the VCDC quarterly magazine, The Verb including content creation and graphic design.
- Manage the LiveVermillion.com website.
- Work collaboratively with the Chamber of Commerce and Economic Development functions of the VCDC.
- Management of VCDC committees such as Tourism & Marketing, Special Events and Sports Authority.
- Oversee intern staff for project support.
- Assist with staffing and planning of organization wide events, as needed.
- A “can-do” attitude is a must! The position requires that a person be able to work with minimum supervision.
- Excellent time management and communication skills and the ability to work alongside staff, board members, volunteers and the general public.
- Must have strong event management experience.
- Must be a team player and work well with peers with strong and positive communication skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Must be able to adjust to constantly changing circumstances and priorities and be able to re-adjust priorities quickly.
- Must maintain strict confidentiality in business dealings; and present a positive, professional image to customers and staff.
- Ability to work outside of normal business hours and some weekends is required.
- An understanding of current communication technologies (social media, websites, etc.) is necessary. Understanding of Adobe software is preferred.
Bachelor’s degree required; 1-2 years’ experience in communications, marketing and event management, is preferred.
Send resume and cover letter to:
Subject: Communications & Tourism Manager
Applications encouraged to be sent in by October 22nd.
Position to stay open until filled.